When I helped Erica with her question about increasing her self esteem because she had a mole on her cheek, I recommended that she use laser for mole removal. Since then not only have I heard from many women and men who would like to get rid of their moles on various parts of the body, I have also been contacted by skin specialists and laser companies with lots of information on laser and its wonderful applications in beauty and wellness.
Does it sound too high-tech and science fiction like? It did to me too in the beginning but as I did some more research I learned that lasers offer so many alternatives to improving our appearance. There are many types of lasers used to improve the skin and they have different functions depending on their intensity.
So what is a laser?
Laser stands for “Light amplification by stimulated emission of radiation.” Quiet complex, but we do not have to understand the underlying technology, but what they can do for us. To explain in simple terms, I am told, a laser is a very intense beam of light that can cut or vaporize the skin, hair follicles, and blood vessels.
What can laser do for you?
- Eliminates spider veins and small or medium varicose veins. Lasers are being used to zap veins on the legs and dark blood vessels on other parts. There are a few lasers that can also eliminate tiny veins on the face. Some people may need a series of treatments to eliminate the veins.
- Remove unwanted hair. After a few treatments lasers can offer permanent or long-term hair removal. This is becoming a popular procedure for both women and men. (Related article: Hair removal by sugaring and hair trimming in private parts)
- Eliminate or improve scars and hyperpigmentation.
- Many types of lasers are used to improve the appearance of skin. The CO2 laser can take away the superficial layer of the skin helping to improve the appearance of fine wrinkles, facial scars and pigmentation. The pigmentation can be the result of sun damage, pregnancy, or other related causes. The scars improve with laser. But depending on the type of scars, they may require a combination of procedures.
- Improve the appearance of your skin
- Some spas and some doctors use lasers that can improve the texture of your skin. These treatments are simple and take very short time. They help the skin look softer, make the pores smaller, improve scars, fine lines and fine wrinkles, lighten pigmentation, and improve overall skin tone (the skin looks firmer). These lasers are called by many names including Cool Touch Laser, N-Lite Laser and Cool Laser. They offer many advantages because they do not produce swelling and redness. They usually require a series of treatments to see meaningful results.
- Improve condition of broken capillaries and blood vessels on the skin.
Other things lasers can do for your skin are: Remove tattoos, moles, small tumors, and treat acne. Laser treatment can cost all the way from $100 for a non-ablative (meaning less invasive and less damaging) laser such as Cool Touch (using these lasers you will need a series of treatments) to $7,000 depending on the area of treatment and the geographic location of the spa.
Recommended article: Guide to skincare