When I was watching an episode of “Plastic surgery: Before & After” this week, there were the usual cases, but one case in particular caught my attention – that of an AIDS patient who not only had lived for over 15 years, but looked reasonably good, except that he was losing facial tissue, making him look more aged. While I was wondering that he might have to undergo massive facial reconstructive surgery and/or a face lift, the plastic surgeon merely suggested that a injectable filler will do the job. The result was quite noticeable as soon as the procedure was done but after a few weeks, the man looked amazing. Essentially these injectables make the body work harder and produce more collagen.
Options to erase the signs of aging to delay or avoid invasive surgery are becoming increasingly popular. According to statistics from the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS), minimally invasive plastic surgery exceeds 7 million procedures. The overall top five procedures are Botox injections, chemical peel, microdermabrasion, laser hair removal, and collagen injections. Now within the minimal invasive procedures, about half are the so-called injectable filler procedures. That includes things like Botox, dermal fillers (e.g. HylaformÂ®, Restylane, collagen, and fat), and Sculptra.
As expected, women made up 86 percent of those who had minimally invasive cosmetic plastic surgery procedures, but men made up the rest 14 percent of patients. Botox injections were the most popular minimally invasive procedure with both genders and all age groups. And another point to note is that even 19-34 year olds are undergoing these procedures (~20%).
Why do people prefer minimally invasive plastic surgery?
There are several advantages: shorter down time, reasonably good results, lower cost, and literally no scarring after surgery. However, minimally invasive surgery is not available for everything. When it comes to liposuction or breast implants or face lifts or tummy tucks, you still have to go under the knife.