Merck response on Vioxx recall
Taking some hints from the aggressive PR campaign launched by Martha Stewart, Merck is also launching a similar program to fight back. In an open (undated) letter bearing the name of its Chairman, President & CEO, Raymond V. Gilmartin, Merck wants to set the record straight by stating that:
- We extensively studied VIOXX before seeking regulatory approval to market it.
- We promptly disclosed the clinical data about VIOXX.
- When questions arose, we took additional steps, including conducting further prospective, controlled studies to gain more clinical information about the medicine.
- When information from these additional prospective, controlled trials became available we acted promptly and made the decision to voluntarily withdraw VIOXX.
- We believe that a complete review of the facts will demonstrate that Merck's conduct with respect to VIOXX shows both an ongoing commitment to study VIOXX and prompt and decisive action in response to data from prospective, controlled clinical studies.
Only time will tell if these statements are correct.